How do you avoid collisions between kite surfers?
When the wind blows, it is busy on the water with kite surfers and windsurfers. From beginner to pro, we all want to do our thing. Waveriding, hangtime, or practicing water starting.
Safety is number 1
It’s all part of it, but how do we keep it safe? When we are kitesurfing with a few hundred men. In between the windsurfers and here and there a lost wave surfer. The general rule is, of course, that we take each other into account, we all want a nice day, so respect the other person in the water, just like the other person respects you. And then we have some simple basic rules that keep the life of a kite surfer simple. Always do one beforehand a buddycheck, so that you go out on the water well prepared.
- Keep your distance. Riding close to someone else creates dangerous situations because Kite lines can easily become confused. Avoid riding close to each other!
- If you are a beginner kite surfer, find an area where there are even more beginners. Experienced kite surfers can take this into account more easily and avoid the beginners area.
- Always make sure to scan your environment continuously. Keep away from others and objects.
- Adjust your route to what others are doing. Ride predictably, others will copy from you.
- Keep your kite as vertical as possible, so you reduce risky situations.
- Don’t jump over other water sports enthusiasts, you don’t know how someone else reacts.
- Kite defensively during busy times, and don’t get too close to others.
- Always give priority to surfers and bodyboarders. Your kite lines are murder weapons to them.
Do you have any good tips to keep kitesurfing safe with heavy crowds, let us know! Also read the priority rules that apply when kitesurfing.
It is not cold when you are wearing a wetsuit (and more). Eric Taylor shows us what he puts on to keep it nice and warm during a kitesurfing session.
Are you not afraid of winter? Do you continue to kite? Read tips on how to stay warm and what signs of hypothermia are here.
What are good earplugs for kite surfers? Prevent surfers ear by using the right earplugs for in the water. Protect your ears from cold and dirt.